International Journal of Advance Research in Nursing
  • Printed Journal
  • Indexed Journal
  • Refereed Journal
  • Peer Reviewed Journal
International Journal of Advance Research in Nursing
International Journal of Advance Research in Nursing
2022, Vol. 5, Issue 2, Part A
A study to evaluate the effectiveness of planned teaching program on knowledge regarding oral cancer among the adolescents in selected PU Colleges of Bengaluru city

Cheryl Lobo and Dr. Amita Paul

Background: Carcinoma, also referred as cancer, cancer is abnormal growth of cells. It is most dangerous and it’s also called as silent killer disease. Many people have misconception that, cancer is not curable. It is deadly now days but there are so many good treatment modalities been introduced in the hospital like chemotherapy and radiation therapy, Combination therapy & surgical intervention. Men to women ratio men are more affected. The reason s in men to get affected more is because of using of tobacco and its products .By chewing tobacco it affects oral cavity. All over the world around 14,10,0000 new cancer cases and 8.200000 deaths occurred in 2012. About 30% cancer cases are caused due to use of tobacco and its products and remaining 70% are because of environmental factors, hereditary. Chewing tobacco affects whole oral cavity including throat and lymph nodes, pharynx, voice box. But among all’ oral cancer is most common and many people are very familiar with it. Even though it is life threatening condition people still prefers to use the products. cancer has its treatment like radiation & chemo therapies they are expensive and has their own side effects like oral mucositis burning sensation loosening of teeth’s and etc.
To protect the young generation from this disease, the government of India have made many attempt to resolve this big burden from the country, Like tobacco and products are banned and smoking in public places are against the low and govt also punished people for breaking the rules of the government but still over peoples are not worried about the effects of tobacco on their own health as well as public health.
Objectives: To assess the knowledge regarding oral cancer among the adolescents in selected PU colleges. To evaluate the effectiveness of PTP on knowledge regarding oral cancer among the adolescents in selected PU colleges and to find out the association between posttest knowledge scores with selected socio demographic variables.
Methodology: An evaluative approach with pre-experimental one group pretest posttest design was adopted for the study. The 50 samples from the selected from selected PU colleges of Bengaluru district were selected using convenient sampling technique. Data was collected by structured knowledge questionnaire.
Results: The results of the study revealed that, in pretest shows that 9(18%) had low level knowledge, 31(62%) had medium level knowledge, and 10(20%) had high level knowledge compared with post est. knowledge scores i.e. no adolescents had low level knowledge, no adolescents had medium level knowledge 50(100%) had high level knowledge scores. The statistical paired ‘t’ implies that the difference in the pretest and post-test value was found statistically significant at 5% level (p < 0.05) with a paired ‘t’ value of 21.02. There was not statistically significant association found between post-test knowledge score with sociodemographic variables.
Conclusion: There is a need for the effective educational programs for the adolescents for prevention of oral cancer.
Pages : 38-42 | 35 Views | 19 Downloads
How to cite this article:
Cheryl Lobo, Dr. Amita Paul. A study to evaluate the effectiveness of planned teaching program on knowledge regarding oral cancer among the adolescents in selected PU Colleges of Bengaluru city. Int J Adv Res Nurs 2022;5(2):38-42.
International Journal of Advance Research in Nursing
close Journals List Click Here Other Nursing Journals Other Journals