International Journal of Advance Research in Nursing
  • Printed Journal
  • Indexed Journal
  • Refereed Journal
  • Peer Reviewed Journal
International Journal of Advance Research in Nursing
International Journal of Advance Research in Nursing
2021, Vol. 4, Issue 2, Part D
Assessment of balance and gait among the older adults

S Sudhapriya, R Sowmya, Grace Febrina, K Rubanson and L Evangelene

Balance is the ability to sit, stand, or walk safely without postural deviation, falling, or reaching for an external items without support. Gait or walking is a coordinated action of the neuromuscular and musculoskeletal systems. This study was aim to assess the Balance and Gait problems among older adults. The research approach selected for this study is quantitative approach. Descriptive design was used. Tinnetti scale was used to assess the Balance and Gait problems among older adults.
Among 31 older adults, 22.6% older adults belong to High risk of falls, 58.1% older adults belong to Greater chance of falls, 19.3% older adults belongs to stable condition. There was a significant association between Balance and Gait problems with their demographic variables of education and occupation.
Gait with advancing age is characterized by shorter steps with less lifting of the feet as proprioception declines. Shuffling may occur as speed, Balance and Gait decreases with age. This study was useful to identify older adults at risk of falls and find difficulty in performing daily activities. Consequently it is useful to monitor changes overtime.
Pages : 207-210 | 8 Views | 7 Downloads
How to cite this article:
S Sudhapriya, R Sowmya, Grace Febrina, K Rubanson, L Evangelene. Assessment of balance and gait among the older adults. Int J Adv Res Nurs 2021;4(2):207-210.
International Journal of Advance Research in Nursing
close Journals List Click Here Other Nursing Journals Other Journals